Vegetable and Cheese Frittata (recipe)
Vegetable and Cheese Frittata
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 12 large eggs
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Note: other veggies can be added as desired
- Heat a large skillet (10-12 inches) over medium heat. Add olive oil and sauté onions for 3-5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add red peppers and mushrooms and sauté until tender. Add spinach and continue sautéing until spinach wilts.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Pour eggs over vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle with cheese. Reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook 7-8 minutes or until eggs are firm.
- Remove from heat. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Chef’s Note: Frittata can be baked in the oven as a casserole.
To do so:
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sautéed vegetables in an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour eggs over veggies, then top with shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 35 minutes—until eggs are set and a thermometer reads 160 degrees.