ACT to accept, score all 1,300 Ohio tests after mixup
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) -- After worries that 21 school districts would have ACT scores invalidated due to being given the wrong tests, the organization has decided to accept all those tests and not force students to re-take them.
On Thursday, it was revealed that at least 1,300 high school juniors (including 500 from Reynoldsburg) might have to retake their tests after there was a mixup between the copies the schools received: initial and makeup tests. The next retesting date wouldn't be until October, which would cause students to miss crucial deadlines for college applications and scholarships.
So, Reynolsburg superintendent Tina Thomas-Manning said she wrote to state lawmakers, the governor, and state superintendent to help.
After hearing pleas from multiple districts, the ACT agreed to accept the previously questioned exams.
Below is statement from the ACT:
ACT has continued to look into the issues that led to the voiding of scores that impacted approximately 1 percent of the examinees in Ohio in connection with the state administration of the ACT. In our review, we have identified conditions that may have caused confusion in the test administration process. ACT will be reviewing our communications protocols and working to put additional measures in place to help ensure these issues do not occur in the future.
In light of this information, ACT has decided to release the scores of students impacted by this situation. As is standard practice with all ACT test administrations, we will be performing standard test security analyses in order to help safeguard the validity of the ACT scores. And, as is the case in every ACT test administration, should irregularities be found on individual tests, ACT reserves the right to take action to protect the integrity of the scores, including score cancellation if necessary.
ACT deeply regrets the inconvenience this situation has caused to schools, students and their families. We remain committed to the students of Ohio and will stand by our offer to provide an opportunity for every impacted student in Ohio to take the ACT again at no additional cost to the student or the state during the 2017-18 testing year.
We will have no further comment at this time. Thanks.
Paolo MeMaria, the state's superintendent of public instruction, is pleased about the outcome for Ohio's students.
“We’re happy that ACT is doing the right thing for the affected Ohio students,” DeMaria said. “As a partner in the education field, we knew they would understand that this would create unnecessary disadvantage for students. We look forward to a continued partnership with ACT.”
ABC 6/FOX 28 will have more details on this developing story when they're made available.