Woman unknowingly swallows braces wire, has it surgically removed 10 years later
Doctors in Australia had to surgically remove dental wire from a woman's small intestine 10 years after she unknowingly swallowed it.
A 30-year-old woman came to an emergency room complaining of severe abdominal pain. After several episodes, they did a CT scan and noticed a three-inch long object in her large intestine. They removed and discovered it was a wire from the braces she'd had on her teeth more than a decade earlier.
The woman has since recovered. Neither she or her orthodontist ever noticed a wire was missing, she said.