Video: Frightened boy, 4, gets arm stuck in vending machine

(CNN Newsource/Seven Network)

A 4-year-old boy endured a frightening ordeal in Australia Sunday after getting his arm stuck in a vending machine.

It took crews more than six hours to free the boy. He reportedly had his arm so far into the machine that it became caught in the anti-theft mechanism.

Emergency responders had to anesthetize the boy three times during the rescue to calm him down. The boy's father -- Aaron Shorthouse -- says his son simply became overwhelmed with the allure of something he had never encountered before.

Shorthouse said, "We live up in [unintelligible] northern territory, and I don't think he's seen a vending machine before, so he saw the Oreos and biscuits and some other things. He was being inquisitive and he was looking, put his hand in the vending machine obviously, but yeah, he's good now. I must say that the fire [unintelligible] and the police were absolutely amazing. They were incredible. Everyone that was there was incredible."

After his arm was safely extracted from the vending machine, the young boy was taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off