MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Local couple warns of possible fire danger with popular solar light

A Delaware couple is sending out a major warning about a popular solar powered outdoor home light that they believe could be a fire hazard. Reports are popping up all over the country about issues with the EverBrite LED light. (WSYX/WTTE)

A Delaware couple is sending out a major warning about a popular solar powered outdoor home light that they believe could be a fire hazard. Reports are popping up all over the country about issues with the EverBrite LED light.

You may have seen commercials about the EverBrite solar powered motion light. The popular product is sold online and in stores across the country. What you may not be aware of is the products’ growing list of complaints following spontaneous fires.

“It was really, really scary. God was really looking after us, that’s all I can say,” Peggy Roach told ABC6.

Roach, showed ABC6 where a spark lit up the side of her garage. Immediately after the fire, she took down the unit on her home. ABC6 did a bit of digging and it turns out, this is a problem being seen across the country. Numerous online customer complaints of fires. One person even wrote, “Almost burnt my house down!"

Fire investigators in South Euclid determined that a house fire there last year was caused by an exploding battery from an EverBrite unit.

ABC6 contacted the new jersey based maker of the EverBrite to find out what steps the company is taking to address the issue. OnTel products has yet to respond.

The company has released the following statement to several consumer groups regarding concerns:

"OnTel Products Corporation strives to provide consumers with quality solutions and customer service, and is committed to ensuring the safety of all its products. The Ever Brite light meets or exceeds all applicable safety regulations required by law for this type of product in the U.S.A."-Caroline Kinsey, OnTel Products

"I’d take it down! And then don’t leave it laying in the sun light. You need to get rid of it. Dispose of it, maybe take it to the fire department and let them decide what to do with it,” Roach told ABC6.

Roach has filed a report with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. She hopes the issue is fixed before someone loses their home, or worse.

“I don’t like to put anybody out of business, but it’s not worth someone’s life. They need to do something about this. I’m not asking for anything from this company, I think they just need to quit marketing it,” said Roach.

Over the past few years there have been numerous complaints to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission over the EverBrite product. At this point, no recalls have been issued.

For more information on OnTel products, visit their website: http://www.ontelproducts.com/

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending