Crème Brûlée from Hyde Park (recipe)
- Heavy Cream 1 qt.
- Vanilla Beans, Split & Scraped 2
- Sugar 20 oz.
- Half & Half 1 qt.
- Madagascar Vanilla Extract 1 Tbs.
- Pasteurized Egg Yolks 1 pint
1.) Pour cream & half & half into a saucepan with split vanilla beans & bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2.) Strain the mixture through a china cap. Scrape vanilla beans clean using a knife and place into strained mixture.
3.) Mix sugar and eggs in a large stainless steel bowl.
4.) Temper cream into the sugar and egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl.
5.) Place back into the original sauce pot.
6.) Return to heat, stir 3-4 minutes, being careful not to overheat.
7.) Let the batter cool for best results (refrigerate for 24 hours before use).
8.) Portion into 6 oz. crème brulée dishes until batter reaches the top.
9.) Bake in a water bath 1 hour @ 225? or until set.
10.) Chill quickly
Crème Brûlée Continued
• Stir batter thoroughly to ensure each crème brulée has enough vanilla beans throughout.
• Ladle the batter into a vessel (do not pour) to ensure you get enough vanilla beans distributed throughout.
• Torch bubbles on crème brulées before cooking, ensure you do not burn crème.
• Use warm water for water bath and cover crème brulées with sheet trays.
• Rotate after half an hour to ensure consistent cooking.
Appearance When Done:
• The top of the crème should be set.
• When shaken, there should be a slight jiggle as a whole on the crème brulée.
• You can insert the tip of a knife and if it comes out clean, they are done.