Judge approves $1.2 million settlement for Jarrell family in State Fair tragedy

A Franklin County probate judge has approved a $1.2 million dollar settlement for the estate of Tyler Jarrell. (WSYX/WTTE)

COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) - A Franklin County probate judge has approved a $1.2 million dollar settlement for the estate of Tyler Jarrell.

Jarrell was killed after he was thrown from the Fire Ball ride when it broke apart last July on opening day at the Ohio State Fair.

The ride malfunction also injured seven others, including Jarrell’s girlfriend.

The judge expressed sympathy to Jarrell’s parents.

Attorney Mark Kitrick described Jarrell as an incredible human being, who would give his hard-earned money to fellow students in need.

Of the $1.2 million, just over $870,000 will be divided between Jarrell’s parents, with his mother receiving 65 percent and his father the remaining 35 percent under the agreement. The rest goes toward funeral expenses, attorney fees and other expenses related to the case.

Kitrick vowed to the court he would lobby to make amusement ride laws better in Ohio.

“We’re not giving up. We’re still going to try to make it safer for people on rides, create national safety standards, get better standards in Ohio with the state of Ohio. So even though it's confined to a settlement that’s fair and reasonable, it’s bigger than that your honor, just so you know,” said Kitrick.

Kitrick also noted he is contemplating other claims in this Fire Ball tragedy.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending