Tips for Ohioans with weekend travel plans
AAA Ohio tips for traveling to the Carolinas during Hurricane Florence (NOAA via AP)
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) -- AAA Ohio is offering the following tips for Ohioans traveling south as Hurricane Florence is expected to strike the coast along the Carolinas Thursday morning.
- Check with your travel agent and travel providers for cancellation policies and itinerary changes.
- Heed all official evacuation advisories and orders.
- Monitor weather conditions regularly, both at your departure city and destination.
- If you have hotel reservations, check with your hotel for local updates on the storm’s impact.
- Many airlines are waiving change fees and issuing changes to rebooking policies as a result of the storm. Check with your airline on their policy and:
- Check your flight status before leaving for the airport, even if you’re not traveling to an area in the storm’s path. Flight delays and cancellations are expected nationwide.
- Consider signing up for text or mobile alerts from your airline for the latest flight information.
- Several cruise lines have altered itineraries in advance of the storm. Travelers should check with their cruise line or travel agent for updates.
- If you have travel insurance, know your policy. Travel insurance is designed to offer protection against sudden and unforeseen situations and events. Not all policies provide coverage for hurricanes.
For more information, visit AAA Ohio's website.